"> Rocketplane beat to rocket-launch punch by Texas company
Rocketplane beat to rocket-launch punch by Texas company
  Main Site Home Site Maps Those involved Blog & Articles Scams & Frauds General  
 

Ex-Rocketplane chief engineer says funding diverted from tourism vehicle
Friday, July 06, 2007
By Ben Fenwick and Scott Cooper

Rocketplanes XP, a suborbital tourism vehicle meant to take off from the Oklahoma Spaceport in Burns Flat, is in a funding free fall, according to the projects former chief engineer.

David Urie, who joined in 2004 as chief engineer, said funding for the craft was diverted to Rocketplanes acquisition of Kistler Aerospace and the development of its orbital K-1 spacecraft.

Although Rocketplane Chief Executive Officer Randy Brinkley told Aviation Week & Space Technology the suborbital subsidiary Rocketplane Global could rehire Urie "in a month or so" with re-established funding, the laid-off engineer said hed "heard nothing about it."

"I left in May and the separation was complete," Urie said. "They will just have to rebuild the team and get back to work on it. The company they put together in 2004 is pretty much gone now."

PROGRESS MADE

Urie said the funds being used to build the Rocketplane XP, a converted Learjet fitted with a delta wing and a rocket engine, were funneled into Rocketplanes acquisition of Kistler.

"We were making good progress. Essentially, in early 2006 we started diverting funds to Kistler and that began to slow down the XP," Urie said.

Rocketplane officials said the XP is on hold because the company is concentrating on acquiring $500 million to qualify for NASAs funds through the Commercial Orbital Transportation Services program.

The orbital subsidiary, Rocketplane Kistler, was awarded a $200 million NASA contract last year to build a rocket capable of transporting cargo to and from the International Space Station, but failed to meet a funding deadline for NASA in May and has reworked the agreement to continue that project.

TAX CREDIT

In 2003, the state of Oklahoma awarded Rocketplane an $18 million tax credit to help build a suborbital tourism ship. The company gradually pushed back the rollout to 2009.

"Its not cancelled by any means. We have a small team left there of excellent people. The design is doing very well," Urie said. "It needs to be funded."

Urie said it would be difficult to reassemble the crafts original designers, who along with him are searching for new jobs. Robert Seto, Rocketplanes chief of staff, recently left to become program manager for the Ball Aerospace Corp.

Rocketplane officials did not return calls.


Copyright 2007 - 2019 ProwlingOwl.com
The Prowling Owl is dedicated to exposing public corruption, fraud, scams, embezzlement, and such. Any questioning the validity or accuracy of information on this Website should be provided with clear and consise specificity regarding information in question and evidence. The Prowling Owl will take appropriate action. Correcting any information demonstrate to be inaccurate or invalid. See disclosures   Email: Prowling@prowlingowl.com